Thursday, October 20, 2011

Through the Past - Darkly

I have been shamed into writing this blog since I am the person who most liked reading the blogs of our two previous adventures, see rogerlmills.blogspot.com and merlins-gate2.blogspot.com  We are an 8 person D&D group that has been meeting Sunday evenings for 31+ years.  The first Dungeon that the group played was the classic S1- Tomb of Horrors.  We stumbled around the entry hall for several sessions since none of us had ever played D&D previously.  After that we made our way through the G1-3 - Against the Giants followed by several other D&D and AD&D modules.  Sometime we had new dungeons written by a member of our group, the best of which was the Search for the Holy Grail that Mark ran before the DaVinci code was published. 

My personal aHa moment came with the release of I6 - Ravenloft and I10 - Ravenloft II - The House on Gryphon Hill which I ran together for our group.  After that it was Ravenloft all the time for me as we made our way through RA1 - Feast of Goblyns, RA2 - Ship of Horror, RQ3 - Thoughts of Darkness, RM1 - Roots of Evil, Bleak House (Where I convinced Mark to play Van Richten as a PC rather than have him be a NPC.  This was enjoyed by all especially Mark!)  Death Unchained, Death Ascendant, Requiem: The Grim Harvest (Where the players were undead for a period of time.)  A Light in the Belfry,  Adam's Wrath, Castle Spulzeer and The Forgotten Terror.   The players have had their heads in a jar, their brains, eyes and ears in a jar, watched flesh golems dance with metal poles in a thunderstorm and found a town impaled on stakes in the square.  I have even convinced other members who were DMing to allow me to interrupt and redirect the flow of an adventure into Ravenloft, much to the surprise of the other players.  We now have one member in North Carolina even though the rest of us are in Illinois but he joins us via Skype or Google Talk every Sunday and we have great fun reliving old moments and memorable characters (mostly Garth the Wimpy).  Previous to the above mentioned adventures I ran a long campaign traversing 11 different modules which I will detail in my next post.  Presently I have converted a 2e adventure to 4e and will be running that adventure for the group and detailing their exploits here.  Needless to say this is a Ravenloft adventure which remains unnamed for now so as not to reveal any details to the players.

No comments:

Post a Comment